The conveyancing process in the UK is the legal process of transferring ownership of a property from the seller to the buyer. When selling a house in the UK, the following steps are typically involved in the conveyancing process:
- Instruction of a conveyancer/solicitor: The seller will need to instruct a conveyancer or solicitor to handle the legal aspects of the sale. The conveyancer will prepare and send the initial paperwork to the buyer’s solicitor.
- Draft contract and documentation: The seller’s conveyancer will prepare the draft contract, including details about the property, any fixtures and fittings that will be included in the sale, and any other relevant information. They will also obtain the title deeds, which will be provided to the buyer’s solicitor.
- Property Information Form and Fittings and Contents Form: The seller’s conveyancer will provide the seller with a Property Information Form and Fittings and Contents Form to complete. The Property Information Form provides information about the property, while the Fittings and Contents Form details what fixtures and fittings will be included in the sale.
- Review and approval of the contract: The buyer’s solicitor will review the draft contract and raise any enquiries or questions they may have about the property or the terms of the sale.
- Exchange of contracts: Once both parties are satisfied with the contract and all enquiries have been answered, the contracts will be signed and exchanged. At this point, the sale becomes legally binding, and a completion date is set.
- Completion: On the completion date, the buyer’s solicitor will transfer the purchase price to the seller’s solicitor. Once the seller’s solicitor has confirmed receipt of the funds, they will authorise the release of the keys to the property to the buyer.
- Registration: The final step in the conveyancing process is the registration of the transfer of ownership with the Land Registry. This confirms the buyer’s legal ownership of the property.
Overall, the conveyancing process can take several weeks to complete, depending on the complexity of the sale and the number of parties involved. According to Springbok properties the time to sell a house can be mucher quicker when a professional home buyer is involved. To find out how much you house is worth to a quick house buyer then complete the form on this page to get a same day price for your home.
Best Wishes, Susan